Thursday, July 12, 2012

America By Car


192 (!) black and white photos by Lee Friedlander in this exhibit, where he litterally shows you America by car. Not only did he drive around in the US, all the photos are taken from his car from 1995 to 2009.

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" - Whenever I see those words a Gary Larson comic strip always pops into my mind creating a smile on my face. Lee Friedlander uses the mirrors to enchance the image or make a contrast to the view that the car is facing - the effect is never the less astonishing. Think about it: How often would you stop your car and just remain sitting in the car while capturing the view with a camera? Most of us would get out of the car and just a  little closer to the view and then capture it with the camera.

The day after I saw the exhibit I started thinking: How about that there were two rooms with his photos instead of one - one room black and white photos and the second room, same pictures just in colours. It would be like two exhibits in one as I think the pictures might tell two different, yet similar, stories depending on being in black and white or in colour.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I lke taking photos of what's in my rearview mirror.