Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sherlock Holmes

You probably already know, that I am a big fan of Jane Austen and Agatha Christie - but I need to add another writer to that list: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. In my teenage years, I always looked out for a book by either Christie or Doyle, that I had not read before - something about English crime novels that I can not resist - and those two are timeless.

First trip to London included a trip to the Sherlock Holmes Museum in BakerStreet - which is why I have one of his business cards: *LOL* that is natually a advertising gimick from the museum. Another London trip included  a In the Footsteep of Sherlock Holmes Walk, and afterwards I found this book at a Waterstones store, and it was a definate MUST-Have. By the way: wether you are a native Londoner or not, you should go on one or these walks or two, as they are worth every penny - been on 4 different walk now and all of them a very nice way to explore London.

In the 1980s British Television made the TV-series "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmen" with Jeremy Brett as Sherlock - for many years that was my visual perception of Sherlock as he captured that character soo well - still watch the re-runs on tv from time to time.


Never have I thought, that Sherlock Holmes would say the following to Watson: "I am lost without my blogger". But since they started airing the BBC series "Sherlock", it seems soo natural, that instead of writing books about Sherlock's cases, Watson is now blogging. This is an up-to-date version of Sherlock Holmes that is brilliant - it still has some gloomy touch to it, that you sensed when reading the books and none of those super brigt colours. Would it not be great if people reconnected with/discovered the old novels after having seen some of this new series?


3 comments:

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I am lost without my blogger, Funny!

Anne-Marie said...

My hubby worked on the Jeremy Brett series, at Granada Studios. He was (and still is) a cable rigger in the studio, although he took early retirement and now works freelance. My two oldest girls used to take the old scripts to school for scrap paper! Coronation Street ones, too, lol.
I've always found that films and tv programmes never really live up to the original book...or is that just me?

Arun said...

Great Post. Have you read the book "Bending the Willow: Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes" by David Stuart Davies. This book is a must read for fans of Jeremy Brett.

@Anne-Marie - Your hubby is so lucky to have worked so closely with Brett :)