Sunday, May 22, 2011

Green Light....Red Light.... Just A Suggestion.....


Frances: Does traficlights mean anything around here?
Marcello: Sure. Green light - avanti, avanti. Yellow light - decoration.
Frances: And what about red light?
Marcello: Just a suggestion.
"Under the Tuscan Sun"
Movie, 2003

Last week, there was a big accident in front of the windows in my office building: a car smashed into a truck, making the front of the car looking like a harmonika and being shortened 3 feet - the car's driver survirved and had to be cut of of the car - the truck driver was obviously in chok, since he did what he could, when the car came out of nowhere.

Two days after, I witnessed 3 teenage boys on their bicycles crossing a street with straffic. Their trafficlights had actually just turned red when they decided to cross the street right in front of a car, who started moving due to he had green lights. Luckily nobody was injured, and when bystanders shouted at these boys afterwards, the boys gave the bystanders the finger.

From that moment, the lines, quoted from the movie, just started to spin around in my head, and I could only imagine what went on in that driver's head afterwards.

This week, a friend from a country where they "love traffic rules" was visiting my city. If you want to cross the street in her city, you just start walking and the cars will stop and not hit you/run you over - that is normal there. We had to grap her by her t-shirt collar to prevent her from being run over, when she decided to cross a street - in my part of the world: she would have been hit by a car.

Incidents like these makes me think about: How different the world is. How fragile a person is, when moving around in the traffic.




3 comments:

Maya Isaksson said...

Hi there! Thanks for leaving a comment in my blog :) I'm always happy when I see people from all over the world visiting!

Birdie said...

I am in so much agreement here that I can't think of a thing to add.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I love traffic rules also.