Thursday, November 25, 2010

Gourmet Travelling

If your have seen the movie "Eat, Love, Pray" - you have seen Julia Roberts as the real life Elizabeth Gilbert who travelled the world to rediscover herself.

But have you ever given it much thought, that you are sometimes travelling to different cultures simply by stepping into someone's house or into a restaurant? Just think about it! You would be quite surprised :o)

I travel a lot - by planes etc. and that maybe how I got the taste for a lot of local dishes and I simply love, if I can find a local restaurant that have the dish or something similar on their menu in my hometown. I also have a lot of international colleagues which means local dishes when I visit their houses, eventhough they live 10-15 minutes from my house.

So what is "travel cuisine" for me? Some of the dishes are from my childhood but that is just the point of origin :o)




Here's a recap (and yes, some of them are desserts):

China Dim sum
Denmark Ris á la mande - Stegt flæsk og persillesovs
France Cremé Brûlee
India  Nan - Prawn Biryani - Shrimp Curry
Italy Pizze: Braccio di ferro - Risotto - Tiramisu
Japan Sushi
Korea Food with kimchi on the side
Mexico Chili con carne
MiddleEast Tajine balsamek
North America (US and Canada) Crabcake - Hashbrowns - Turkey (á la Thanksgiving dinner)
Spain Paella
Sweden Rösti

Well there might be plenty of more dishes, that I have forgotten :o)

Happy Thanksgiving

1 comment:

Karen said...

Yummers, I really enjoy food from other cultures.

I'll add a couple of my faves.

Australia - Lamingtons (chocolate coated cube of sponge cake, rolled in desiccated coconut)
Morocco - Chicken tagine with preserved lemons and green olives.

Cheers,
Karen