Monday, February 1, 2010

To Knit or Not to Knit

Well I chose knitting....


Since I finished reading this book a few weeks back, I have kind of had an urge to knit again...and therefore needed a new project.

Then I realised that I had some yarns - not enough to make a scarf, blouse etc... but how could I use the "scraps" before heading to the local yarn/knitting store to buy new yarn....?? Then I remembered that the local chapter of SaveTheChildren are pledging for knitted baby caps (to help reduce the infant mortality rate in Africa).

So far almost 4 caps knitted, and believe that I various colours for yarn for at least 10 more. I found a very easy knit pattern which enables me to knit while watching tv - horray for multitasking - and I feel good about doing this for charity as the balls of yarn were just collecting dust (each ball of yarn can be made into two caps).

One of my fried - who's pregnant - came by my appartment the other day, saw the knitted caps and sent me a ball of yarn the following days with the words: "Please knit one for my soon-to-be-born babygirl, and then another for a girl in Africa". She has asked me if I could finish it in time for the baby shower that we are throwing her - she wants absolutely no other gift from me - and she has asked all the other girls coming to the babyshower to each give one ball of yarn... wow that will result in a LOT of caps....

One should never underestimate the power of the written words - and reading this book lead me to this project: to do something good for people, that I have never met and never will...

1 comment:

Melanie's Randomness said...

Woa this is awesome. You knit? I envy you. I always break the knitting needles when I try to do or get the yarn all in knots. Good for you doing the baby caps for a cause!! I used to crochet Aids Baby quilts. Good luck!!