Sunday, February 21, 2010

Is blogging just an online "Dear Diary" moment?

I would say.... "Yes!".... and "No!"

I keep a diary, and the stuff written there are actually thoughts similar to some of the topics in my posts - on the other hand my diary contains very personal information, opinions etc about persons, that are all named in my diary... Even opions about topics that I rather keep for myself.

See my diary is for me to read - for me to remember - to help me remember - to start reflecting on various issues that might have a huge impact on my life... stuff I would never feel comfortable about publishing on any website ...my diary is personal.

My blog reflects some of the random thoughts I have about some topic, event etc. - the stuff I feel comfortable about sharing....

But I can easily understand why some compare blogging with a diary - I think is because of the format we use to express ourselves in the blog.... Sending questions out there - not necessarily asking for an answer, opinion etc - a diary can not answer you back, just make the writer/reader reflect on the written word - a blog enables to exchange ideas swirling in you head with the readers of your blog....

Ever seen "Sex and the City"?? - Well Carrie Bradshaw always writes a lot of rethorical questions in her newspaper column... not expecting feedback - but hoping to envoke some thoughts in the reader's head... you can actually say, that a newspaper column is the predecessor to the online blog......

2 comments:

Elle said...

I agree with you! It might seem that blogging seems like a diary, and many agree that blogging is exactly that. But personally, I find that by blogging, and putting your thoughts out to the world, we're doing it to show other people, to gain feedback...whereas a diary can contain anything personal.

It annoys me when people start up a blog, and sometimes it gets more readers than they expect (for example, the recent sex blogs that have hit the media). This has happened many a time, only for the blogger to say, 'it was only meant as a diary, I didn't WANT people to read it!' - wrong. If you want a diary, buy a lockable one and keep it under your bed/in your drawer like everyone else. You KNOW what you're doing when you set up an online blog.

Sorry for the rant, but I enjoyed this post! :)

Melanie's Randomness said...

I totally agree with you too! I have a diary that I keep the names & very personal information. I wish I could write the full stories, names & all in my blog to make it seem more real but alas I can't. Its okay tho I enjoy my blog just as it is